Friday, September 6, 2013


Well, first a bit of bad news that really is good news.  Really.

Check this out:

Late this afternoon, the master closet cupboards were being installed.  The finish carpenter had installed the moulding around the bottom of the closet last week.  When he did, he shot a nail into the main water pipe coming into the house.  The closet dude pulled it out (not knowing, of course) and Old Faithful was in our closet.  Oh boy!  He put a screw in the hole to stop the water and made phone calls.  He went out to the street and turned off the main water.  Whew. 

Here's the good part.  If he had not found it tonight, when the nail finally rusted, we would have had a mess on our hands and a whole lot of damage.  We really dodged a bullet, thank goodness. 

Now, on to the progress!

The carpets were installed today, well except for in the master closet - see above.  Here is the family room.


The first two are the same room, different angles.  And the last one is the carpet pattern.  I think the color is closest to the first photo.  Now, the bad news.  When the carpet was manufactured, there was an error in the pattern.  It wasn't noticed until the installer tried to match the pattern.  The distributor has contacted the manufacturer and has filed a claim.  A replacement has been ordered and will be installed when it arrives.  They finished this installation so we can close.

Next is the master bedroom.

I can't tell which photo is closest to the right color, but maybe the bottom one.  This is a eco friendly carpet and is so soft!  I think it's Smart-Strand "silk."  All I know is it's like walking on air.  It has no pattern.

The office and the other two bedrooms are the same short shag.
These are the office and the first is the most true color.
The following are the front bedroom, the hallway and the back bedroom.

These are the drawers that will go in the master closet dresser.  I can hardly wait until tomorrow to see it all installed!

Here's a photo of the powder room.  I was trying to get a shot of the light fixture, but as you can see, I didn't do so well.  The same fixtures go in the master bath.

Also today the driveway got done.  We were going to go with concrete, but changed it to asphalt.  We decided with the winters and the de-ice, it would be better to go with this.  I don't think we'll be sorry.  We see lots of cracked and ruined concrete when we drive around.  Hope it's the right choice!  I'll get a shot from the street tomorrow.

 Lastly for this post is the "web."  That's was the builder calls the design on the front and back porches.  They got all of the cedar trim stained.  I think it really goes well with the paint and rock.

Here's the back.

That's all I have on the house today.  Well, I do have one more photo. 
I set this bee trap yesterday.  They are really bad at our new house.  I sure hope there aren't as many next year.   

OK, I have to post a flower here.  It's been a while.  This is the flower of a Turk's Head cactus taken at Manito Park.  They have an awesome cactus display!


  1. What a dream. I love the blue you have chosen for the outside perfect..

  2. Fantastic progress - I can feel the excitement building up for the day you move in!

  3. It's coming along nicely!! I love the style of your interior doors!! I guess once the carpet is laid it is just about time to move in :)